How to Stop Spam Comments on Your WordPress Blog
Starting a new blog is exciting and getting comments on your blog posts can be so cool but not if they are spam! I have had my blog setup for less than a month and have racked up 60+ spam comments! Some are in another language and some are pushing those little blue pills. It’s crazy stuff. Even if you have your comment section set up for approval so no one sees these they multiply quickly.
So we’ll be talking about the Akismet plugin that stops most spam comments! It’s your first line of defensive when the crazy comments are coming fast and furious. The Akismet plugin comes standard with your WordPress Blog and can be found on the list on your dashboard under “Plugins”.
The first thing you will need to do is sign up for an Akismet API Key here!
After that you can follow these instructions:
- Login to your blog
- Go to your dashboard and on the left hand menu click Plugins.
- Click activate under the the Akismet Plugin
- If it doesn’t automatically go to a page to input your API key you obtained from Akismet, click settings under the Akismet plugin.
- On the settings page enter your Akismet API key.
- Click Update Options.
- Now you have an awesome spam filter for your comments section.